Your West Cost Wilderness Adventure Awaits!
Be an important part of the True Key family with Nootka Marine Adventures’ at Moutcha Bay Resort. You’ll be working among a diverse natural playground of rugged coastal mountains, rainforest and marine life. Moutcha Bay Resort is located at the mouth of the Conuma River featuring 8 yurts, 8 loft suites, 2 chalets, 36 serviced RV sites, full service 79 slip marina, gift store, restaurant, boat rentals, boat launch, boat storage, guided fishing, fuel and a federally inspected fish processing cannery.
Nootka Marine Adventure’s Moutcha Bay Resort is proudly operated under True Key Hotels & Resorts, a leader in resort management with properties located throughout BC.
This is a seasonal full-time position is available for Moutcha Bay Resort. Contract length dependent on the demands of the business.
Summing it up.
The Marine Naturalist/Tour Guide is an integral part of the Guest Experience Team at Nootka Marine Adventures and is responsible for creating memorable service while guests are on wildlife tours or other adventure tours and talk and this role is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the vessel used for tours based out of Moutcha Bay Resort, Newton Cove Resort and Nootka Sound Resort.
What you'll be doing.
Kayak Tours and Rentals
- Guide day trips out of Moutcha Bay Resort and Newton Cove Resort ensuring all safety procedures are in place, adhered to and documented.
- Develop trip plans, maps, itineraries, route plans and gear lists.
- Ensure all safety requirements meet or exceed Transport Canada requirements and continually assess the sea worthiness and equipment of all kayaks in fleet or work closely with third party providers to ensure requirements are met.
- Maintain good standing with the Sea Kayak Guide Alliance of BC and any other applicable memberships, associations and stakeholder groups are also in good standing.
- Maintain a kayak guide log.
- Offer a high level of interpretation and education about Nootka Sound, its history, flora, and fauna. Provide safety briefings before each trip.
- Maintain excellent communication with Moutcha Bay Resort before, during, and after your trip.
- Maintain the appearance, cleanliness, and function of the kayak fleet or ensure this is done if services are provided by third parties. Offer kayak rental orientations for walk up guests.
- Budget for and purchase (after approval) all required operating supplies, capital items and equipment to ensure success of program.
On site interpretive programming
- Develop and implement interpretive materials on site including workshops, educational signs, trails, and brochures.
- Provide tools and educational materials to all resort managers to share with team members, make recommendations throughout the season for additional materials.
- Coordinate on site sustainability practices including waste diversion practices. Lead the Moutcha Bay Resort Green Team.
- Inspire your team members to adhere to, promote, and contribute to our sustainability goals.
Who you are.
- Extensive knowledge, educational background in biology or natural sciences.
- Demonstrated Leadership working in an environmentally based role with a strong commitment to sustainability and dedicated continued learning.
- A high level of dedication to safety and professionalism
- A strong understanding of eco-tourism and kayaking industry standards. Knowledge of our local waters would be considered a strong asset.
- A service driven professional dedicated to delivering industry leading experiences while working with a variety or stakeholders and community partners. Demonstrated relationship building and community relations experience is required for this role.
- Strong problem-solving skills, with the ability to take control of emergency situations and process an abundance of changing information in a timely manner.
- An excellent understanding of our resort operations and the expectations that come with working in the high-end guided fishing market, recognizing differing stakeholder concerns. Embracing our history and heritage and that of the local Nations.
- An individual with a keen attention to detail, and the ability to manage large groups independently keeping to establishing timelines and service deliverables.
- Strong communication skills is a must for this role.
Required Certifications including:
- Small Vessel Operator Proficiency
- MED A3 Marine Emergency Distress
- Restricted Radio Operators Certificate
- Level one, Marine First Aid
- SKGABC Level Two/ Assistant Overnight Kayak Guide
What we offer.
True Key Hotels & Resorts provides competitive employment packages for its team members, including competitive wages, employee discount programs, health benefits, referral bonuses, education allowance, staff housing, bonuses, on the job training and great opportunities for advancement.
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada to be considered.